Annual General Meeting of Convict Women's Press Inc - 5th August 2019
The Annual General Meeting of the Convict Womens Press Inc. will be held on Monday 5th August at 5.15 pm in the General Office of the Cascades Female Factory Historic Site, 16 Degraves St., South Hobart (entry via the rear carpark). The business of the meeting will be to elect office-holders and to table reports, including financial accounts.
The Annual General Meeting of Female Convicts Research Centre Inc. will be held at the same place at 4.30pm. Please see the Female Convicts Research Centre website for further information.
Following the two meetings, all members are welcome to join the Committees at the Cascade Hotel for a meal.
CWP Public Officer
Convict Lives at the Ross Female Factory
Convict Lives at the Ross Female Factory is the second book in the Convict Lives series. It is the first book published by the Convict Women's Press.
From 1848 to 1854 the Ross Female Factory processed hundreds of women transported to Van Diemen's Land, providing "a complete institution for the exploitation of female convicts in the service of the great houses of the Midlands." But, as the Female Convicts Research Group (Tasmania) remind us in this compelling book, many convict women who passed through the Ross Female Factory also found ways to challenge the convict system, to make their mark.
The book contains 29 stories from 21 contributors, all members of the Female Convicts Research Centre, and edited by Lucy Frost.
- The Female Factory at Ross by James Parker
- Not a Happy Place to Work: Staff at the Ross Female Factory by Colette McAlpine
- Where are the Children? Archaeology of the Nursery Ward by Eleanor Conlin Casella
- Women and Children at Ross Female Factory by Lois Newham
- Three Deaths: Catherine Toole by Jo Brodie
- Rochdale Refugee: Mary Britcliffe by Deborah Norris
- A Black Sheep in the Family: Mary Cullen by Joy Crane
- Irish Shipmates from the 'Tasmania' by Dianne Snowden and Joan Kavanagh
- An Unsuccessful Servant: Charlotte Scott by Alice Meredith Hodgson
- A Passionate Prisoner: Elizabeth Kenny by Trudy Cowley
- Mary Eagan Makes the Papers by James Parker
- 'Gone but not forgotten': Ellenor Onions by Alice Meredith Hodgson
- Short but not Sweet: Margaret Aitcheson by Trudy Cowley
- Lucilia Helps Herself: Lucilia de la Constantine by Colette McAlpine
- An Incorrigible Rebel: Mary Sherriff by Lucy Frost
- 'Drunk and Disorderly': Helen Leslie by Alison Alexander
- A Case of Sexual Assault: Margaret Knaggs & Agnes Kane by Kay Buttfield
- Silk, Silver and Elastic-sided Boots: Eliza Kirwan by Pene Marshall
- A Tangled Web: Margaret Butler by Dianne Snowden
- The Flynn Family Antics by Lyn Horton
- The Cotter Sisters: Hanna and Catherine by Leonie Fahey
- A Country Girl and her Associates: Catherine O'Neall by Lorraine Wootton
- From Belfast to Bendigo: Amelia McCabe by Rhiannon Crane
- Wanted–a Wife by Colette McAlpine and Lucy Frost
- Death in New Norfolk: Mary Donnolly by Ralph Crane
- A New Career in the Midlands: Julia Rigby by Colette McAlpine
- 'a most useful citizen': Bridget Lee by Dianne Snowden
- A Woman of Interest: Elizabeth Capel by Andrea Gerrard
- A Novelist Pictures his Convict Ancestor: Margaret O'Meara and Christopher Koch by Alison Alexander